Thursday, September 1, 2011

Make up Brands...Drugstore vs. Department Store

I buy a lot of make up...a lot. I've probably used them all, from Covergirl and Maybelline to MAC and Estee Lauder. I have my favorites and there are some times where I've returned certain brands (like Nars or Almay) because they promise one thing or another and have a completely different result.

I'm very picky when it comes to foundation, probably because when I was pregnant with my son, my face did a 180 and became super, mega, oily (Dr's say it was because of all the male hormones counteracting with mine, while I was pregnant). I found that the best foundation for me is MAC Studio Fix and to set it, I use MAC's Mineralized Skinfinish

Now I know the price is a bit high for MAC, but the way I see it is, I spend $25 for a foundation that is going to last me approximately 5 months. So basically I'm spending $5 a month on foundation. The mineralized powder, lasts me about 7 months, so again I divide it by that.

I've tried using drugstore foundations, like Covergirl, Revlon, Maybelline, but I've noticed that I've had to add more to my face, to have the same coverage as MAC, which means I'm running out of the foundation faster, making me spend more $$ to buy more foundation. So in the end, I spend the same amount of money on a department store foundation.

However, when it comes to mascara, blush, lip gloss and lipsticks, I will go, hands down, to a drugstore brand. I've again used the expensive ones only to find that they do the same job as a drugstore brand. For example, my favorite mascara is Covergirl's Lash Blast. The formula is thick, it doesn't smear, it doesn't flake and it really does volumize and define your lashes. Same with their lip glosses and blushes.

I know not all people have the same thoughts on which brands of make up are better, but everyone has to experiment and see what works best for them!

So, what's your favorite brand of make up?

~ t

No comments:

Post a Comment